Perfect Vegan Brunch: Biscuit Crust Breakfast Pizza with Coconut Milk Gravy
Yields 4 mini pizzas
Prep time: About 30 min
Cook Time 15-20 min
1 1/2 C all purpose unbleached flour
1 T. Baking Powder
1/4 C. Earth Balance non-dairy margarine
1 t. lemon juice
1 t. salt
1/4 C. water or non-dairy milk
1/2 C. coconut milk
3 T. flour
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. salt
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 t. sugar
Tofu Scramble Topping
1/2 block Extra Firm Tofu, cubed and drained
1/2 medium Onion diced
2-3 cloves of Garlic chopped
1/2 of a Red Pepper diced
1 C Baby Spinach chopped
4-5 Mushrooms sliced
1 t. Cumin
1/4 C. Nutritional yeast
1 t. Mustard powder
1 t. Turmeric
1 t. Salt
1 t. Pepper
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a large bowl combine flour, Baking Powder, Salt and lemon juice together. Before adding the Earth Balance butter cut in small cubes. Add to flour mixture and with a fork, two knives or your hands cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and with your hands or large wooden spoon, stir together until mixture sticks together as dough. If it’s sticky that’s okay, if you need to add more water, add a tablespoon at a time.
Scrape dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour, and fold it in half; pat down, fold again, and repeat until you have folded the dough 4 or 5 times. (kneading) By this time, dough should not be sticky.
Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a ball (these will be your pizza crusts! Set aside and let dough rest.
2. Pour coconut milk into a small saucepan over medium heat. Once milk is at a boil mix in pepper, salt and garlic. Add flour and whisk it vigorously until smooth and creamy. If you aren’t fast, it is going to clump up.. then you’ll have to start over again and we don’t want that. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat.
3. Roll out dough ball with a rolling pin to circles 4-5 inches in diameter. With your fingers roll over the edges of the dough to create a crust, just like a pizza. Repeat with the next three dough balls.
Place on a non stick cookie sheet and add 2-3 spoonfuls of gravy to each min pizza. (just like you would if you were putting red sauce on a pizza.)
Cook for 15-20 minutes in oven or until dough is lightly brown. Be careful not to over cook the dough, it will make crusts too tough to eat.
3. While biscuit crust is cooking make the tofu scramble.
In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat saute onion, garlic, salt and pepper with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook about a minute and add red pepper and mushrooms. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes until veggies are soft and add tofu. You can cook as cubes or crumble with your fingers as you add to the pan. Add 3-4 tablespoons of water and cook for about 10 minutes. Don’t let tofu stick to the bottom of the pan, make sure you are stirring it often. Try to get the tofu crisp on all sides. With about 5 minutes left, mix in cumin, nutritional yeast, mustard powder and turmeric. Add chopped spinach and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until spinach is limp. Salt and Pepper to taste.
5. By this time the biscuit crust should be finished cooking. Remove from oven, top with 2-3 spoonfuls of scrambled tofu.Serve with a side of fruit, or potatoes!
You could also top with your favorite non-dairy vegan cheese, like Daiya.